Everything on model trains, model railroads, model railways, locomotives, model train layouts, scenery, wiring, DCC and more. Enjoy the world's best hobby... model railroading!

Auto Reversing Question

Richards posts this question for readers:

“When using an HO Bachmann EZ Command Control System Digital Automatic Reverse Loop Module 44912 can standard track be used for a non loop run on DCC. Also any way to build in 4 stops with this or any other module?”

Share on FacebookEmail this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share This Post

9 Responses to Auto Reversing Question

• Newman Atkinson says:

Richard I am not sure what you are trying to do here. I don’t think you are going to need a reverse control unit for your regular line. But if you are going to install a reverse loop so to turn the train around then once you switch off the main line then insulate both rails with insulated joiners and where the loop come back into the track the other way double insulate that as well in otherwords switch off from your main then switch again into one direction or the other of your reverse loop. It will then need to connect into the other side of that switch to go the other way. Yu will then need insulators on all four rails. To Power that reverse loop you need to bring power from your main line through the switch of your reverse loop. Feed both rails of power to your reverse loop module unit. from there you will connect to the rails of the reverse loop. Your unit will automatically switch the polarity of your reverse loop[ rails in and out of the loop. Not hard to wire. If I get what you are trying to do then here you are. You can do the same if you switch from the main track (include the switch in your main track power do the same as I said above but you can allow the other end of your loop switch straight back into your main tracks the other way. Wiring is the same. Hope I have helped here As far as the 4 stops I am not sure what you are trying to do here. from Newman

• Richard says:

Newman, thanks for your reply. What I want to do is run a Trolley or subway line on a dedicated line for this use only, and will not be using a loop, it will be a straight run back and forth only, no loop.

• Newman Atkinson says:

Richard
        How about a system that the train follows the powered rails and at the point of it’s stop it crosses to a dead section (Insulated from the powered track). Manually you could throw the switch that is a double throw double pole to reverse the direction and the dead section would come on with it to send it the other direction and the same could happen at the other end. It would stop automatically because of the insulated rail.
        Now for the automatic system I thing you could use an auto reverse board and by using the insulated rail system above them maybe it would work on it’s own without throwing switches. But I am pretty sure there is something that would work like a computer system that would stop the train for a set time like at a platform and when it starts up again would go in the reversed direction. At any rate your stop or turn directions will most likely need an insulated rail to make it stop at a station or at it’s reversing point. one of my videos has a layout that the Chicago EL does just that but it goes farther by sending the train out from the other side of the platform out next.. There was a trolley layout at Train Fest which had 3 different trolley’s and each time the trolley would get back to the platform the next trolley would go also with a stop delay at the other platform on the other end of the line. I will let you know which video it is in . Both layouts seem to be what you might need. But manually sounds like what I told you at the top of this would get you going.
        I am building up some wood trolleys of my own but I am in no way close to hooking up a system that would work this like that. But I have a place in mind that I would want to do it like you are saying as I am modeling Seattle Washington Kings station and just befor the trains go into the tunnel under the city there is a street bridge that the wired busses run on over the station tracks which sounds to me that if there is a unit out there that does this them that would be great. I know there is something because I have seen 2 layouts now that have this system working.. from Newman Atkinson

• Tim Morlok says:

Hi Richard, there are trolley sets that you can buy that contain an auto reverse system. I saw one running on Halloween display at a craft store that had a pin under the trolley that activated a contact switch to reverse the direction. For the intermediate stops you could use a small section of isolated track with an on/off switch to stop the trolley at each station. If you want everything to run automatically, there are probably some electronic timing circuits that could be used to stop the trolley for a short period at each station again using a momentary contact switch at each stop to activate the timer. best of luck with you project, Tim

• Rich says:

Thanks Tim, Bachmann makes a set (no Trolly) uses special tracks but is expensive and only runs a short distance, you can get additional track but I understand it must be the special Bachmann track. This is also DC. I have seen it displayed as a point to point, don’t know if a loop would work, not that I am interested in a loop at this time.
      Rich

• Richard says:

Newman, once again thanks. I have been researching and found that for DCC a Digitrax #AR1 Automatic Reverse Controller will work, but must have a loop. I also found this Circuitron AR 2 Auto-Reverse Circuit, this is for Dc and does not require a loop. Even though my layout is DCC, I Think I will consider the Circutiron because my Trolly/subway will be independent from my main Layout. I am still looking for a solution for intermittent stops, I would really like this option, but could live with point to point.

I went on Digatrax website and they said that you must have a loop.
    If I come up with anything else I will post, if you do please post.
    Rich

• FJ says:

Have a look at layouts4u.net/infrared.html I think they will solve ALL your problems.

ATB.

FJ

• Richard says:

F-J, thanks for the info, will look into these very carefully and report back
      Rich

• GMOMO says:

Try Tony’s Train Exchange on line, they have a great line of electx ckt boards and an very good documents section … have a great day …

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Add a photo or image related to your comment (JPEG only)

Reader Poll #1

On your layout - How important is having more SCENIC REALISM compared to having more TRACK / OPERATION? Select your personal preference by choosing a number from 1 to 10.

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Reader Poll #2

On your layout - How important is having more SWITCHING compared to having more MAINLINE RUNNING? Select your personal preference by choosing a number from 1 to 10.

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Scenery Techniques Explained

A Great Christmas Gift!

N Scale Track Plans

Watch Video

Learn About DCC

Use Tiny Railroad Micro Controllers

A micro controller is basically a small programmable computer device to help the model railroader “make things operate.” It is clever way to realistically replicate the movements, actions and functions you are likely to see on a full size railroad.

Free Catalog

NEW TO MODEL TRAINS?

Watch These Club Videos

Club members access helpful new resources each month: diagrams, video tutorials, articles, track plans and more. Watch the tour videos here.

Bringing Your Railroad To Life!

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION

Submit Your Model Railroading Questions!

Before you submit your model railroading question please add some feedback, answers or comments to other postings on this model train blog. What goes around comes around... so if you can help others in the hobby, someone else may help you.

Important - Please add plenty of supporting details to any question you submit (eg. scale, solutions you have already tried etc.) , as the clearest and best questions usually get the best answers. Also, please check your spelling and punctuation as all questions need to be approved by the blog moderator prior to publication. Approved questions are normally published within a week (if not sooner).

Submit your model train questions here.

Model Train Help Ebook

Scenery & Layout Ideas

Share With Friends

Submit Your Article

Would you like to write an article and have it published?

Preference will be given to articles that help others progress in the hobby, maybe suggesting an idea for their layout, a quick tip or two... or perhaps a little bit of good advice based on your model railroading experiences.

We are all in this hobby together, so the more we can do to share ideas and help each other, the better.

Submit Your Article Here

It’s YOUR Railroad!

Your rolling stock and locomotives might actually be the center of attention on your layout, but the scenic features that surround and envelop your layout is what's likely to make your train setup stand proud of the rest. Your selection of scenery and structures will add an element of customization that will make your railroad truly unique.

Scenery, structures, and fine detailing is a fundamental aspect of any good model railroad, particularly if it is intended to replicate a true-to-life railroading scene. How realistic or authentic you make your railroad is entirely up to you... and you alone.

Some enthusiasts like to replicate every tiny detail so as to accurately depict, in every aspect, a miniaturized version of a real life scene.

Others in this hobby adopt a more "free-style" approach and choose to mix and match accessories and features they personally prefer. Even though the purist will possibly be unimpressed with unrealistic or out of context elements, it is YOUR railroad layout so you can make it anything you personally want!

Model Railroading Blog Archive