Everything on model trains, model railroads, model railways, locomotives, model train layouts, scenery, wiring, DCC and more. Enjoy the world's best hobby... model railroading!

Fixing Problem Crossovers and Switches

Derek asks readers:

“Bachmann nickel silver #5 switches and #6 crossovers look good, but don’t operate that well. I’m having problems with derailments when a train enters a turnout. The rails seem to move a fraction, just enough to create a gap. The frogs are okay. The first 4 or 6 engine wheels usually make it over the turnout without a problem. However, problems can happen when the wheels on the following trucks pass over the same spot. They often want to go in a different direction.

I thought I might have a go trying to fix it with my Dremel tool by grinding the stationary rails so as to create a small notch where they touch the moving rails. I wondered about strengthening the springs underneath the turnouts, but I’m not sure if this is a good idea or how to go about it.

I would really appreciate some advice from others who know more about these problems than I do. Thanks.”

The ASK A QUESTION link is under every post if you have a question you would like published.

Share on FacebookEmail this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share This Post

14 Responses to Fixing Problem Crossovers and Switches

• Frank Whittle says:

I saw a video relevant to this problem and the guy added a piece of plastic to one of the rails and this stopped the derailing problem. I believe I was just looking for setting points up for dcc.

• Jim says:

I am having the exact same problem and haven’t found a solution.

• The Track Rat says:

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Honestly, I would junk them. If you want track work that will function flawlessly and look like the prototype build it your self. Let me kmow if you have any other questions.
    ,The Track Rat

• David Stokes says:

I’d be careful with the running rails and the Dremel. I’d be more inclined to sharpen the closure point rail with a small file, but more importantly stop the point rail from moving once set. Not being familiar with the Bachmann point I am unsure how one would do that. Sounds like a design fault to me. Good luck, but truly, I’d be ditching them for Peco or Atlas, or one of the more upmarket point systems.

• Ed says:

I”ve had the same problem and my engine run fine over the rails on the turnouts, but some of my cars would derail just at the turnout rail. Sometimes this is cuz by the rail vibrates a little from the train running and one guy told me to install a slow motion motor to the turnout This did help cuz the motor holds the inter rail to the outer rail and so far, I haven’t any problems.

• rich says:

i have the same problem try checking your coupelers if they are kaydees that is your problem

• Frank B says:

I don’t know this type of switch, but on typical switches the moving part is held to its position (on each side) by a small “over-centre” spring (like an electrical toggle switch).

Your description suggests that this spring is not firmly holding the rail all the way out to each side.

So it may be worth taking the spring out, and trying to stretch it a small amount to increase the force holding the rails in place.

(If this works please let us know.)

• Sheldon Clark says:

I’d be very careful with this suggestion. I’m not familiar with the switches in question, but I’ve found that with Peco N Gauge switches it’s impossible to re-install the spring once it has come out. I have a problem with these switches where I am using “wire-in-tube” to operate them, because the wire is piano wire supplied in coils and even in PTFE tubes, the friction doesn’t allow the spring to exert enough pressure to maintain electrical contact when the operating wire is longer than about 6″. One of my solutions has been to “tweak” the ends of the switch rails VERY gently & carefully. I’m puzzled about your crossing problem – are the trucks diverging from the intended route there too? If so, you may have a problem with your wheelsets – tread width, flange depth & thickness or back-to-back measurements may not be compatible with the crossing. If the trackwork and wheelsets are to compatible standards (NMRA, in USA), I cannot imagine what the cause or solution may be.

• Robert says:

Try this article, it has a couple of solutions.
    newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/track%20layout.htm

• donj1044 says:

You can try gouging a little under the throw bar to make room as it moves sideways!. It sounds like you have a bulge under the switch. See if the switch rails are in gauge? for both positions. That is all that comes to mind about your problem. Good luck Don J

• Greg says:

It could be the point rail is not high enough. I use a dpdt switch to throw the turnout and to change the polarity of the frog. It also holds it tight!

• Phillip Collins says:

I had a similar problem with older Atlas points. My solution was to replace with Peco which has a decent over-centre spring. Unfortunately Peco was more expensive. I think the blades were moving because of play in the rivet.

• Vic says:

Are you running a Bachmann engine? I have found that some of my older Bachmann engines going over turnouts is due to the distance between the plastic gear cover between the wheels. I used my dremal

• joe h says:

I was wondering if the wheels on the following trucks are in gauge(the correct width). Get a NMRA Standard Gauge for the scale of railroad you are running,for example; N scale or HO scale. With the gauge check the clearance between the wheel flanges to make sure each set of wheels are not too narrow or wide and make any adgustments as needed. I would check this out first before trying to modify the switches or replace.
    Hope this helps out.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Add a photo or image related to your comment (JPEG only)

Use Tiny Railroad Micro Controllers

A micro controller is basically a small programmable computer device to help hobbyists “make things operate.” It is clever way to realistically replicate the movements, actions and functions you are likely to see on a full size railroad.

Micro control technology can be used for:

Rolling stock and scenic lighting effects, street lamp lighting, lighting up of structures, emergency vehicle flashing lights, replicating a campfire or arc welding, tall structure tower lighting, block occupancy detection, turnout operation, motors/servos, solenoid, infrared, right-of-way signal lighting, current sense, crossing gate & signal operation, semaphores, flashers, turntable control, gate arms, draw/lift bridge control, fast time clock, DCC testing, scenery sound control, wireless controls, and lighting fixture day to night control. Read more...

The good thing is; a micro controller can be programmed to perform one, or just a few, simple tasks over and over again.

N Scale Track Plans

Watch Video

Free Catalog

Scenery Techniques

Watch the video now.

Watch These Club Videos

Club members access helpful new resources each month: diagrams, video tutorials, articles, track plans and more. Watch the tour videos here.

Why DCC is so popular

A simple DC (Direct Current) transformer will give you a nice chugging locomotive going one way on your model train track, however, with a DCC unit you can have the flexibility of having an entire train-switching yard happening right in front of your eyes! That is the adaptability that is available with this coming-of-age technology in the hobby!

By using the Digital Command Control, you are opening up a whole new range of possibilities. A continuous electrical current is sent to all of the many things you have installed on your train layout, however, now you have a digital receiver installed in each various items. You can therefore control each and every one of them with the selectable controller and enhance the operation and, more importantly, the look and feel of your system.

The technical side of the DCC is, actually, not as complicated as you might think. In reality, a DCC system is usually easier to wire than a straight DC system.

More dcc ideas...

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION

Submit Your Model Railroading Questions!

Before you submit your model railroading question please add some feedback, answers or comments to other postings on this model train blog. What goes around comes around... so if you can help others in the hobby, someone else may help you.

Important - Please add plenty of supporting details to any question you submit (eg. scale, solutions you have already tried etc.) , as the clearest and best questions usually get the best answers. Also, please check your spelling and punctuation as all questions need to be approved by the blog moderator prior to publication. Approved questions are normally published within a week (if not sooner).

Submit your model train questions here.

Model Train Help Ebook

Scenery & Layout Ideas

Share With Friends

Submit Your Article

Would you like to write an article and have it published?

Preference will be given to articles that help others progress in the hobby, maybe suggesting an idea for their layout, a quick tip or two... or perhaps a little bit of good advice based on your model railroading experiences.

We are all in this hobby together, so the more we can do to share ideas and help each other, the better.

Submit Your Article Here

Deciding the Era and Location

The choice of scenery you decide on all depends on what era and location you are depicting with your layout. You will need to do some good research on the railroad and its surroundings to make sure you get the scenery perfect (if that’s what you want).

If you are depicting a historical train setting or a certain era, you will want to use old photographs to determine how the scenery should be built and laid out. Remember to think through all aspects of the scenery. This is one of the best areas to really showcase your talents, so take your time.

More scenery ideas...

It’s YOUR Railroad!

Your rolling stock and locomotives might actually be the center of attention on your layout, but the scenic features that surround and envelop your layout is what's likely to make your train setup stand proud of the rest. Your selection of scenery and structures will add an element of customization that will make your railroad truly unique.

Scenery, structures, and fine detailing is a fundamental aspect of any good model railroad, particularly if it is intended to replicate a true-to-life railroading scene. How realistic or authentic you make your railroad is entirely up to you... and you alone.

Some enthusiasts like to replicate every tiny detail so as to accurately depict, in every aspect, a miniaturized version of a real life scene.

Others in this hobby adopt a more "free-style" approach and choose to mix and match accessories and features they personally prefer. Even though the purist will possibly be unimpressed with unrealistic or out of context elements, it is YOUR railroad layout so you can make it anything you personally want!

Model Railroading Blog Archive

NEW TO MODEL TRAINS?

Reader Poll

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.