Everything on model trains, model railroads, model railways, locomotives, model train layouts, scenery, wiring, DCC and more. Enjoy the world's best hobby... model railroading!

How To Make A Fire Scene

model railroad fire scenemodel railway fire

Ron K has N scale and asks readers for advice:

“I want to model a small fire scene in a building complete with smoke, flames, fire trucks etc. Can someone give me some hints on how to make this look real?”

Ron, I included a couple of fire scenes I spotted at recent train shows.

If you would like to have your question published on this blog (10,000 readers weekly), use the ‘Ask A Question’ link below each posting. The best questions get published.

Share on FacebookEmail this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share This Post

19 Responses to How To Make A Fire Scene

• Mike says:

Woodlands Scenics makes a burning building. It has fire damage to the top floor of a building, a orange light inside. They also sell a police car with headlights, taillights and a flashing red beacon on the roof. Hope it helps some.

• Anna noe says:

Hi, I’ve seen blinking lights added inside of a building on fire where they used smoke(looked like cotten balls pulled apart and spray painted shades of grey) to look like fire. I’ve seen some scenes that looked real until I looked and didn’t see any hoses hooked to fire hydrants. Fwiw

• Bob says:

As a stagehand for 45 years, one thing I don’t recommend is real fire! There are a number of theatrical effects which can be incorporated into your layout which will work nicely without endangering the household. In terms of the fire itself, you can use a small video projector, the gadget they use in electric fireplaces, or a small fan blowing red and yellow strips of silk in front of an orange colored light source. I’ve seen all three work very well on stage.
    As far as smoke is concerned, why not try the stuff they use in train steam engines. It would produce a nice effect without caustic smells.

• David Liverett says:

At a recent train show that we had, some people were using incense for chimney smoke. Not only did it smell great, it looked very good.

• Neil Glenn says:

Another source of ‘smoke’ could be thin silk or nylon strips of grey & black-striped sheer (VERY sheer is better, like spider-webs!) material attached to upper window frames & doorways with a small ducted fan blowing them up and out. Be sure to also have well-blackened ‘soot’ trails up from these openings!

• Bob says:

There are several burning building kits out there, you should be able to find one online. There are battery-operated tea candles (about as big around as a quarter and about 3/4″ high) that flicker, resembling a real candle. One or two of those with some flame-colored dye on the “flame” part of the candle could simulate the fire itself. Maybe a smoke unit from an old steam loco for smoke? I think there are even smoke units you can buy for just such a purpose. Good luck!

• Steve says:

You can buy cheap coloured LED’s from China for not more than a few cents each. Add to this a circuit board that has numerous flashing outputs and scatter them on the walls that face you. It gives the effect of genuine flames bouncing off anything inside the building. Likewise cars with head and tail lights. Either HO or N scale available ex-China (12vdc required for all of above) – I bought the cars and have drilled holes and wired in red and blue micro LED’s, and inj turn, wired them into the same type of board as the “flame” LED’s….tis a work in progress…but don’t even think about doing the above if you dont have patience – the wires and LED’s for the cars are as fine as a hair and the LED’s smaller than a pin head…I destroyed a few when learning the best way to work with such tiny gear…oh, and don’t even try to solder the wires – twist & insulate only

• Ken Mylcraine says:

Flickering amber LEDs. Put the LEDs out of direct view. The effect is of a flickering fire. I have a couple of trash burn barrels with flickering amber LED in the bottom of them. At night time it looks like there is a fire in the bottom of them. For a building fire I would recommend several flickering LEDs and if one could get red and orange flickering LEDs that would ad even more affect. I do not know if anything other Amber (yellow) can be purchased though. I am very happy with my amber flickering LEDs.
    Ken

• J E Wilson says:

I have purchased several smoke generators and the fluid on eBay and use them on my mining layout under smokestacks and in one boiler house and they work and look great. I also have 3 simulated welding light systems in use – 1 for a campfire, 1 for a boiler fire where the smoke generator is also being used, and 1 in a burning building with smoke generator. They all look great and add realism and life to my layout which is mainly HOn3 with Dual gauge track around the perimeter for both narrow and standard gauges and I have a high section with N rail for HOn2 1/2 and will have a lower section using Z scale track and equipment. This is in a 9′ X 11′ room. Hope this gives you some ideas for your layout. Happy Railroading J

• noel says:

small bulbs with flasher units covered by red celafane paper cut to shape

• DEAN KINZEL says:

Hey Ron I had bought a plastic building painted it as if it had burned . I also took off the roof and had it look like the roof had fallen into the structure with the beams/ rafters showing. Under all that I put in a plastic square dish that will hold water for a small fog machine and with the “fire lights” that I bought through Evan Designs the burning building looks very real The fog comes out of the windows ,as well as the roof top. I have seen places on the internet where you can find a ready made building but I wanted to use my imagination and make one for myself – may have costs a bit more , but it was fun trying. sorry I can’t show you a picture, as I am trying to program my layout to be controlled by a computer and everything is down right now.

• Doc says:

At ITT products, you can buy a sound card with the sounds of a firehouse being called to a fire, if you get their sequencer with the push of one button you can have the whole thing done . On my layout you push a button and the fire call board calls the firehouse, then flashing lights start on two fire trucks driving down the road, then with various blinking lights in a building then using a smoke unit from a stream engine, I have smoke pouring out of the roof.

• Connor Crossfield says:

Firefighter here, while I cannot suggest what to use for scenery a typical response to a dwelling fire in my district will have four engines on scene, a ladder truck, a chief and a medic. Ladders to windows and roofs would be appropriate as well as water spilling over the road way. Hope I could help!

• DanG says:

Thanks for the real world insight!

• Rich Silvia says:

I have been a career firefighter/ fire marshal for over 31 years.The fire building from Woodlands Scenics would work best. Fluff cotton spray painted grey/black is best for the smoke. The tea lights painted red/orange also work nicely. You need two engines at least one truck company, rescue/medic unit and chief car.Small black flexible tubing can be used for the hoses. There are firefighter figures you can purchase along with fire hydrants. Ladder Company to front of building to ladder same. First due Engine Company lays the hose to the structure, second due Engine back up the first one at the hydrant and lays a supply line to the first Engine. Chief directs and Rescue/Medic assist with firefighting. Hope this will help you. Good luck.

• Jon Barkhurst says:

I saw a series of stories a few years ago by a guy named Matt Choboro. He actually modeled an “N” gauge fire of a Fire Extinguisher company. I hope this helps.

• Petter Nygaard Hansen says:

Hi
    I use Arduino with a 3 led setup (red and yellow). I programmed the script and made a fireplace for a layout in H0, that belongs to a friend. It worked very good.
    If you are into Arduino I can send the complete script in C++ to you.
    Petter

• Howard c. says:

Great suggestions. Now can someone tell me where I can find n scale equipment especially 1940 throu 1950’s.

• Douglas Edwards says:

Fire is easy! But smoke could be handled by using the smoke maker in an old Lionel loco. I don’t know where to get the pills. I’ve never done this so let us know how your fire scene turns out.

Good luck

Doug

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Add a photo or image related to your comment (JPEG only)

Use Tiny Railroad Micro Controllers

A micro controller is basically a small programmable computer device to help hobbyists “make things operate.” It is clever way to realistically replicate the movements, actions and functions you are likely to see on a full size railroad.

Micro control technology can be used for:

Rolling stock and scenic lighting effects, street lamp lighting, lighting up of structures, emergency vehicle flashing lights, replicating a campfire or arc welding, tall structure tower lighting, block occupancy detection, turnout operation, motors/servos, solenoid, infrared, right-of-way signal lighting, current sense, crossing gate & signal operation, semaphores, flashers, turntable control, gate arms, draw/lift bridge control, fast time clock, DCC testing, scenery sound control, wireless controls, and lighting fixture day to night control. Read more...

The good thing is; a micro controller can be programmed to perform one, or just a few, simple tasks over and over again.

Watch These Club Videos

Club members access helpful new resources each month: diagrams, video tutorials, articles, track plans and more. Watch the tour videos here.

Clever Tips & Techniques

Free Catalog

N Scale Track Plans

Watch Video

Scenery Techniques

Watch the video now.

Why DCC is so popular

A simple DC (Direct Current) transformer will give you a nice chugging locomotive going one way on your model train track, however, with a DCC unit you can have the flexibility of having an entire train-switching yard happening right in front of your eyes! That is the adaptability that is available with this coming-of-age technology in the hobby!

By using the Digital Command Control, you are opening up a whole new range of possibilities. A continuous electrical current is sent to all of the many things you have installed on your train layout, however, now you have a digital receiver installed in each various items. You can therefore control each and every one of them with the selectable controller and enhance the operation and, more importantly, the look and feel of your system.

The technical side of the DCC is, actually, not as complicated as you might think. In reality, a DCC system is usually easier to wire than a straight DC system.

More dcc ideas...

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION

Submit Your Model Railroading Questions!

Before you submit your model railroading question please add some feedback, answers or comments to other postings on this model train blog. What goes around comes around... so if you can help others in the hobby, someone else may help you.

Important - Please add plenty of supporting details to any question you submit (eg. scale, solutions you have already tried etc.) , as the clearest and best questions usually get the best answers. Also, please check your spelling and punctuation as all questions need to be approved by the blog moderator prior to publication. Approved questions are normally published within a week (if not sooner).

Submit your model train questions here.

Model Train Help Ebook

Scenery & Layout Ideas

Share With Friends

Submit Your Article

Would you like to write an article and have it published?

Preference will be given to articles that help others progress in the hobby, maybe suggesting an idea for their layout, a quick tip or two... or perhaps a little bit of good advice based on your model railroading experiences.

We are all in this hobby together, so the more we can do to share ideas and help each other, the better.

Submit Your Article Here

Deciding the Era and Location

The choice of scenery you decide on all depends on what era and location you are depicting with your layout. You will need to do some good research on the railroad and its surroundings to make sure you get the scenery perfect (if that’s what you want).

If you are depicting a historical train setting or a certain era, you will want to use old photographs to determine how the scenery should be built and laid out. Remember to think through all aspects of the scenery. This is one of the best areas to really showcase your talents, so take your time.

More scenery ideas...

It’s YOUR Railroad!

Your rolling stock and locomotives might actually be the center of attention on your layout, but the scenic features that surround and envelop your layout is what's likely to make your train setup stand proud of the rest. Your selection of scenery and structures will add an element of customization that will make your railroad truly unique.

Scenery, structures, and fine detailing is a fundamental aspect of any good model railroad, particularly if it is intended to replicate a true-to-life railroading scene. How realistic or authentic you make your railroad is entirely up to you... and you alone.

Some enthusiasts like to replicate every tiny detail so as to accurately depict, in every aspect, a miniaturized version of a real life scene.

Others in this hobby adopt a more "free-style" approach and choose to mix and match accessories and features they personally prefer. Even though the purist will possibly be unimpressed with unrealistic or out of context elements, it is YOUR railroad layout so you can make it anything you personally want!

Model Railroading Blog Archive

Reader Poll

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.