Everything on model trains, model railroads, model railways, locomotives, model train layouts, scenery, wiring, DCC and more. Enjoy the world's best hobby... model railroading!

Building a Train Layout Around The Christmas Tree

xmas tree train setErrhe sent in this question for readers:

“Please help me if you can. My wife wants me to build a small Christmas train around our tree. I agreed to do it but with a couple of conditions: I want one that has a circular track around the tree attached to a larger oval where I can build a little village – so I figured I needed a couple of switches.  And I do not want some cheap, noisy, battery powered, train. I want  a train where the track provides the power. This is because when I was little my friend had a train with a missile car the you could stop over a certain place on the track. The first button press opened the top of the rail car and elevated a missile, and then the second press of the button fired the missile. In always thought that was the coolest part of his track.

Anyway I want to start building a model track and village. I want it to be expandable later, and i want it to run on a powered track, not a engine full of batteries. But when I started looking for parts, I realized I really need more information before I start designing and buying pieces.

Almost all the store trains I see, are battery powered and come with a simple circle track. I want to design on am own track layout and use a variable speed control.

My other problem, of course, is my lack of know knowledge regarding scale size. Do I need gauge G, O,  SO or something else? I don’t want to get a scale that is dying out with limited future options. I want to be able to expand on my train in the future.

Yes, I am new to the model train building hobby, but I love working with my hands and I have created many pieces of furniture with beautiful finishes that my wife loves.

If anyone with a passion for trains can help me learn a little, I would be very grateful. It’s more than a simple model, it is a handmade gift to my loving wife and she deserves to best.

Thank you for any knowledge and help you can pass on to me.”

Share on FacebookEmail this to someoneTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on Google+Share This Post

8 Responses to Building a Train Layout Around The Christmas Tree

• Lloyd Barrios says:

I would start off with just a simple circle around the tree, and go with a large scale such as O so it will be noticeable. Save the complicated layout for a later date when you can spend the time necessary to make it work like you want. Good luck.

• Frank B says:

Look at the trains available in a local model shop, and go to a model railway exhibition to get an idea of the available scales and possibilities, or drop in to a local club, they are usually very friendly.

HO scale (1:87) trains are about two inches high, the most popular and cheapest scale.
    0 scale (1:48) is larger and more visible and can have greater detail, but more expensive.
    G scale (around 1:25) trains are about six inches high, and commonly used for garden layouts.

You have greater detail at larger scales, but a smaller area of territory represented in the space you have. Draw a plan on paper of the layout with the features you want, in the area you have available, and choose the scale accordingly.

If you don’t have a knowledge of it, learn the basics of electricity, as this will be essential to solving many potential problems.

• Frank B says:

You can download various free track planning software, which makes it much easier to visualise the layout and see what track you need to buy.

• James A. Ladd says:

Hello Errhe,
    My suggestion would be ” N ” scale , you will get a lot more in the space than with other scales.
    It is more ‘ fiddlie ‘ but worth the effort.
    Lots of loco’s etc.out there ! !
    Good luck with your ‘training’ ! !
    Regards
    James A. Ladd

• Bob says:

“Power on board” (yes, batteries) would be a safer option and of course more prototypical. (“Real” trains do not derive power from the tracks.) Having DC power in the tracks means that any conducting object such as an ornament or tinsel fallen from the tree onto the tracks will create a short and may heat up possibly causing a fire. Christmas trees are dangerous enough without adding a potential ignition source beneath one.

Besides all that, the look your wife wants is that of a toy train not a scale model. Best to keep it simple – and fun.

• Nix says:

O & S larger scale but may be good only around the tree. If you wish to expand in future; you need to ascertain the space you can give for your layout.
    HO scale is the most common scale with huge variety all over the world; study-size, more economic than N scale.
    N scale is quite small (approx the size of a board/ permanent marker pen) good for coffee table railway or if you wish to pack in Himalayan ranges in the scenery! Less economic than HO, lesser options & require sharper eye-sight for fixing any possible problems you may encounter on regular basis viz running a railway/railroad!

• SorenES says:

The above mentioned “0”, “H0″, and “N” scales are the ones relevant for a beginner’s indoor use. There are good selections of locomotives, wagons, carriages (or cars) as well as kits for buildings for all of them; most however for H0 (or 00 in the UK. However I guess you are from the US). If you envision your future larger layout with lots of (handmade?) scenery and buildings, H0 or 0 would probably be most satisfactory for you. If you are more inclined to having trains operate like the real world’s goods and passenger services, N will give you the possibility of having more track and switches per square metre at the cost of not so fine details in rolling stock and fixed structures.
    There is the possibility of getting the fine model details of the larger 0 scale combined with less space requirement. It’s called “scale 0 narrow gauge” meaning that the rolling stock uses 16.5 mm wide track like H0, but the people and structures are only scaled down to 1:48. The real life counterparts will be logging lines, mine trains, mixed passenger and freight services in rural surroundings, industrial lines within or near a factory and the like.
    To revert to your original question: a large christmas tree standing on the floor will dwarf scales H0 and N, leaving 0 as the best. A smaller tree on e.g. a plinth or a sideboard will be better with the smaller scales H0 and N. And finally, scale 0 for your wife’s christmas layout and another scale for your own larger layout is another possibility. Do plan a visit to a dedicated train model store before deciding!
    Good luck and Merry Christmas!
    SorenES

• Gerry Keffer says:

I’m more inclined to use LSD (no, not the drug) but Large Scale Design. That being said, ‘O’ scale is 1/48th and ‘G’ scale goes from 1/35th to 1/20.5. The best thing about these two scales is that you can buy a lot of cars with action to them. The down side of course is space to set them up.
    Probably my biggest reason for modeling in these scales is that the olde I get the less agile I am and my eye sight dims as well…

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Add a photo or image related to your comment (JPEG only)

Reader Poll #1

On your layout - How important is having more SCENIC REALISM compared to having more TRACK / OPERATION? Select your personal preference by choosing a number from 1 to 10.

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Reader Poll #2

On your layout - How important is having more SWITCHING compared to having more MAINLINE RUNNING? Select your personal preference by choosing a number from 1 to 10.

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Scenery Techniques Explained

A Great Christmas Gift!

N Scale Track Plans

Watch Video

Learn About DCC

Use Tiny Railroad Micro Controllers

A micro controller is basically a small programmable computer device to help the model railroader “make things operate.” It is clever way to realistically replicate the movements, actions and functions you are likely to see on a full size railroad.

Free Catalog

NEW TO MODEL TRAINS?

Watch These Club Videos

Club members access helpful new resources each month: diagrams, video tutorials, articles, track plans and more. Watch the tour videos here.

Bringing Your Railroad To Life!

SUBMIT YOUR QUESTION

Submit Your Model Railroading Questions!

Before you submit your model railroading question please add some feedback, answers or comments to other postings on this model train blog. What goes around comes around... so if you can help others in the hobby, someone else may help you.

Important - Please add plenty of supporting details to any question you submit (eg. scale, solutions you have already tried etc.) , as the clearest and best questions usually get the best answers. Also, please check your spelling and punctuation as all questions need to be approved by the blog moderator prior to publication. Approved questions are normally published within a week (if not sooner).

Submit your model train questions here.

Model Train Help Ebook

Scenery & Layout Ideas

Share With Friends

Submit Your Article

Would you like to write an article and have it published?

Preference will be given to articles that help others progress in the hobby, maybe suggesting an idea for their layout, a quick tip or two... or perhaps a little bit of good advice based on your model railroading experiences.

We are all in this hobby together, so the more we can do to share ideas and help each other, the better.

Submit Your Article Here

It’s YOUR Railroad!

Your rolling stock and locomotives might actually be the center of attention on your layout, but the scenic features that surround and envelop your layout is what's likely to make your train setup stand proud of the rest. Your selection of scenery and structures will add an element of customization that will make your railroad truly unique.

Scenery, structures, and fine detailing is a fundamental aspect of any good model railroad, particularly if it is intended to replicate a true-to-life railroading scene. How realistic or authentic you make your railroad is entirely up to you... and you alone.

Some enthusiasts like to replicate every tiny detail so as to accurately depict, in every aspect, a miniaturized version of a real life scene.

Others in this hobby adopt a more "free-style" approach and choose to mix and match accessories and features they personally prefer. Even though the purist will possibly be unimpressed with unrealistic or out of context elements, it is YOUR railroad layout so you can make it anything you personally want!

Model Railroading Blog Archive